Introducing HACCP For Fish Friers
The Food Hygiene Regulations 2006 which incorporate (Regulation (EC) No 852/2004 on the hygiene of foodstuffs requires in Article 5 Hazard analysis and critical control points that:
- Food business operators shall put in place, implement and maintain a permanent procedure or procedures based on the HACCP principles
- The HACCP principles referred to in 1 consist of the following:
- Identifying any hazards that must be prevented, eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels.
- Identifying the critical control points at the step or steps at which control is essential to prevent or eliminate a hazard or reduce it to acceptable levels.
- Establishing critical limits at critical control points which separate acceptability from unacceptability for the prevention, elimination or reduction of identified hazards.
- Establishing and implementing effective monitoring procedures at critical control points.
- Establishing corrective actions when monitoring indicates that a critical control point is not under control.
- Establishing procedures, which shall be carried out regularly, to verify that the measures outlined in a) to e) are working effectively.
- Establishing documents and records commensurate with the size and nature of the food business to demonstrate the effective application of the measures outlined in a) to f).
When any modification is made in the product, process or any step, food business operators shall review the procedure and make necessary changes to it.
- This applies to any food business operator carrying out any stage of production, processing and distribution of food after primary production
- Food business operators shall:
- Provide the competent authority with evidence of their compliance with the regulation in the manner that the competent authority requires, taking into account the nature and size of the food business
- Ensure any documents describing the procedures developed in accordance with this article are up to date at all times
- Retain any other documents and records for an appropriate period This study was undertaken to ensure that the practices complied with these requirements.